Make a Difference
Five Things You Didn’t Know About Lourdes
We hear Lourdes mentioned in assemblies, and in passing in the corridors of the College... but many of you might be wondering, what is it, and how can you get involved?
Here are five facts to get you clued-up:
1. Lourdes is a small market town on the French side of the foothills of the Pyrenees. Since 2005, the College has taken a group of students to the town for a week in July.
2. One of the aims of the trip is to teach St Aloysius pupils to be men and women for others. As well as 31 of our own pupils, the College invites 13 children with additional support needs for the week. Between two and three students from the college are responsible for each child with additional needs.
3. Lourdes is the site of many apparitions of the Virgin Mary. It has since become a major place of pilgrimage and of miraculous healings. The College’s trip coincides with the Glasgow Archdiocese visit, and the group joins them for masses and processions.
4. It is not exclusively a religious retreat. The group goes on a range of exciting outings – from visiting the seaside at Jean de Luz, to taking in the sights at Gavarnie, a Unesco World Heritage Site.
5. Students are responsible for fundraising, and they organise something for everyone. At the annual Lourdes dinner there’s a tombola, table prizes and even a silent auction. This year, a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts sale has been scheduled for Pancake Tuesday, and a talent show for pupils will be held later in March. In April there will be a five-a-side football tournament, and over in the Junior School the 'Wear it Yellow' day also raises funds.
If you would like to come along to the annual Lourdes Dinner on Saturday 11th March, there are still tickets available. This year the night will be hosted at the Radisson Blu Glasgow, and will begin with a champagne reception at 7pm. Carriages will be at 1am, and the dress code is lounge suits and cocktail dresses. Tickets cost £50 and include a three course meal, as well as musical after-dinner entertainment. If you would like to attend, please contact Julie McWilliams at email@example.com. Corporate tables are available, as well as individual tickets.